This blog records my personal adventures with Ubuntu Linux.

Thursday, January 25, 2007

Welcome to my blog

Hi, this is Mark and this is my first time creating a blog. I was recently listening to a "Ubuntu Podcast #25" from www.ubuntuos.com. Sal, one of the podcast team suggested that every new Ubuntu/Xubuntu user create a blog to record what they've learned and things they've tried.... so here I am!

I'm going to go ahead and use this blog to record my personal adventures with Ubuntu Linux 6.10 (Edgy Eft). Here's my brief story:

I have been a Windows user for most of my professional life (many years, actually I can date my starting computer experience to the Apple IIe and MS-DOS, yes... the some really old days.) I currently manage a team of Windows/Solaris System Administrators and Network Engineers. Several of my Unix System Administrators routinely use Ubuntu Linux at work. I often wondered what the big attraction was for them and why they choose to snub Windows (the software on 90% of personal computers today.) I often loaded and tested different distributions of linux under VMware Player in Windows XP, but never really spent more than just a few minutes poking around.

So just before Christmas 2006, I was taking a quick break from my regular schedule of work, ministry (I lead a community group in my congregation) and college (I decided to go back and finish the degree I started many years ago), I decided to learn more about network security and realized that there were a lot of tools out there that ran on linux. So I decided it was time to blaze the trail and really learn about it and how to use it. Then I could move forward with network security tools.

For a while now, I have spent lots of time downloading various live CD distros trying to decide what I would settle on. I found that I liked the "gnome" interface and tended to go back to distros that used this. Eventually I settled on Ubuntu. I'll post later on about my search process.

A few weeks ago I converted a four year old Compaq Evo laptop, 500mb ram and 30mb hard drive that used to run Windows XP into a dedicated Ubuntu system. It was my desire to use this system more and more at home so that I could get familiar with it.

I've up and running on it for several weeks. I'm using the system right now to type this blog.

Stay tuned... more to come!

No comments: